Re: Lead and leaded glass

Jill's message->

   Hi All...

     As a major DOE clean-up Site, we will be generating a large quantity
     of lead in many forms.  After it is decontaminated, we would like to
     recycle it.  About 60% by volume is leaded glass from gloveboxes, and
     the remainder is bricks, plugs, etc.

     I am looking for ideas on:
        How to decontaminte it, generating the least amount of secondary
     waste; and
        How to best reuse large quantities of lead, in particular leaded
     glass.

     Thanx for any help you can provide!

     Jill A. Engel-Cox
     ja.engelcox@pnl.gov
     Pollution Prevention Coordinator
     Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
-------------------------------------------------------------------->
Jill, is there a low-level radiation decontamination concern here?   I don't have
a contact for the Northwest area, but you may want to check with David Dlubak
of Dlubaks Glass Co.:
11567 County Highway 110
Upper Sandusky, Ohio 43351
(419) 294-4466

He handles many different types of glass wastes, including auto windshields
(leaded) , CRTs (back funnel up to 30% lead) , halogen lamps, etc, and blends
them to the desired specification acceptable by end-market users.

Art Coleman, Ohio EPA
Division of Hazardous Waste Management
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049