Re: Virgin Oil Waste: Used Oil Waste

Ric wants to know:->

 From: R. Illig
    RE: Waste Virgin Oil & Used Oil Waste

    One & All,

    Recently, in discussing the recycling of plastic oil containers,
    the number 3.4 billion plastic containers produced yearly was
    used.  Also, (on a similar topic) if each empty container still
    held about one ounce of virgin oil, that the resulting disposal of
    the containers meant that a huge amount of oil was also being
    disposed of annually...dwarfing the Exxon Valdez spill many times
    over.

    Does anyone have documentation to reflect these figures??

    Likewise, I have an article addressing the recycling of used
    (auto) oil which states that only about 10 percent of the 190
    million gallons produced yearly actually gets recycled.
    Reportedly, the remainder...16 TIMES THE EXXON VALDEZ SPILL...goes
    elsewhere (sewers, landfills, burners,etc.).

    Does anyone have documentation to support these numbers??

    Seems to me we ought to be swimming in oil if this is the case.
    If true, especially about the used oil, seems time for regulators
    to take a different approach before we are swimming in the stuff.
    (I have been a big advocate of handling used oil as a recyclable
    for years now but government seems dedicated to regulating oil for
    the worse.)(I know some people will always mix hazardous wastes
    and other stuff in with their used oil, but that seems to still
    happen, and I don't believe it can ever be controlled.  I also
    doubt the overall potential harmful effects that may occur unless
    everybody started mixing weird stuff in used oil.)

    Can anyone cast clarity on these numbers, sources of information,
    approaches in other states/countries?  Does any state/country show
    better success at recycling or collection of used oil?  I would
    like to handle waste oil (hydraulic, industrial, etc.) separately,
    but any information addressing this topic, aside from virgin
    oil/used oil would also be appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Ric
  ----------------------------------------------------------------->
Let me throw the following information on used oil your way.  Most of the
references to used oil generation (rates, sources), management (recycling,
disposal, etc), and statistical stuff are foot-noted as to source:

Hazardous Waste Management System; Identification and Listing of
Hazardous Waste; Recycled Used Oil Management Standards: Final Rule
(Federal Register; September, 10 1992; Vol. 57, No. 176)
Note: Although this is typical lawyer-oriented material, the background info is
useful, and provides a perspective or rationale on the ruling.

National Used Oil Collection Study: Manufacturing, Distribution and Marketing
(May 1996); American Petroleum Institute; 1220 L Street, Northwest,
Washington, D.C. 20005; (202) 682-8000
Note: This documents discusses  state used oil collection programs.  It also
addresses the impediments to recycling used oil.

Cost and Economic Impact of 1992 Used Oil Management Standards -
Prepared for by: Regulatory Analysis Branch; Office of Solid Waste; U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (August 4, 1992).
Note: The primary purpose of this document is to outline the cost and
economic impact relative to the 1992 used oil management standards.  It
provides statistics (and sources) on used oil generation and management
activities.  For example: "Generation and Flow of Used Oil in the United States
in 1988; prepared by Frank A. Smith, Office of Solid Waste, U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency, by Philip H. Voorhees, Temple, Barker, & Sloane, Inc.

Used Oil: Disposal Options, Management Practices and Liability (Second
Edition); John J. Nolan (National Oil Recyclers Association), Christopher Harris
(Schmeltzer, Aptaker & Sheppard, P.C., and Patrick O. Cavanaugh,
Schmeltzer, Aptaker, & Sheppard, P.C.; May 1989 (Government Institutes, Inc.;
906 Hungerford Drive, #24; Rockville, MD 20850)
Note: A lot of the used oil statistics referenced in this book were obtained from
Franklin Associates in 1984: Composition and Management of Used Oil
Generated in the United States - prepared for the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency.

Used Oil Management in Selected Industrial Countries (Discussion Paper
#064, January 1991)  Put Together by Andrew Lohof; Prepared by American
Petroleum Institute; 1220 L Street, Northwest, Washington, D.C. 20005.
Notes: discusses used oil management activities in European, Canadian,
German, United Kingdom, etc.   Provides statistical figures on used oil
generation and disposal.

Art Coleman, Ohio EPA
Division of Hazardous Waste Management
P.O. Box 1049