Re: Virgin Oil Waste: Used Oil Waste: Followup

> Art Coleman wrote:
>
> Ric and Graham:
>
> I am consolidating a response to the questions posed in your messages,
> regarding statistical and environmental  data on used/virgin oils.
> Some of the figures on waste generation rates, etc. are
> extrapolations.  For example, for the transportation sector, some
> state estimates were based on state vehicle registry data (on the
> number of vehicles) and the frequency of oil changes.
>
> Regarding Grahams's question whether the info I provided contains
> anything on the fate of virgin oil.  I would say that the info is
> deficient on the environmental fate of virgin oil.  However, I have
> a document that describes the universe of, and waste generating
> activities of, crude oil and petroleum product distribution/processing
> facilities: "Estimates Of Waste Generation For Petroleum Crude Oil
> And Petroleum Crude Oil And Petroleum Products Distribution And
> Wholesale Systems" (November 13, 1987); Prepared for: U.S.
> Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Solid Waste; 401 M Street,
> S.W., Washington, D.C. 20460, by: Midwest Research Institute (MRI);
> 425 Volker Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64110-2299.  Although dated,
> this document provides figures on the quantity of crude/petroleum
> oil transported, generated, and processed by facilities/transporters,
> as well as the types, composition, sources, and quantities of wastes
> generated from these sources.
>
> The U.S. EPA has several empirical documents or studies on file
> attesting to the hazardous of used oil mismanagement and its adverse
> consequences in the environment.  The citings include reports/data
> on road oiling, adulteration, improper storage (at used oil
> processors, rerefiners, underground storage tanks, etc.), and
> Superfund cites. The U.S. EPA has determined that many of
> the sites on the National Priority List (NPL) involve mismanagement
> or storage of used oil ("Summary Descriptions of Sixty-Three "Used
> Oil" Superfund Sites. Final Draft, U.S. EPA, May 1992).  I believe
> details on these cites are in the U.S. EPA Docket: F-92-UO2F-FFFFF
> (also see September 10, 1992 Federal Register, Vol. 57, No., 176).
> There also are several reported incidents for RCRA facilities (see
> above Docket).
>
> The U.S. EPA announced a prohibition in using used oil to suppress
> fugitive dust (accept for certain conditions) in the September 10,
> 1992 Final Rule, based on incident reports and the fear that
> misuse/application of used oil in road oiling will result in
> run-off into, and contamination of ,surface waters.  I think
> many of us know about the incident at Times Beach, Missouri in
> 1982, in which a contractor unfortunately applied dioxin-contaminated
> used oil to road surfaces throughout a wide area, resulting in
> millions of dollars of damage. The town is still unoccupied today.
>
> For those of used who are interested, there is a report on using
> [...]

Many thanks, Art. This is very valuable from the perspective of my
country (South Africa) where attempts are currently being made to have
used oil management set up on a proper footing.

Does anyone out there know of any university-based studies that might
throw further light on the environmental fate and impact of discarded
lube oil?

The part about the non-hazardous status of used lube oil in the US that
I find difficult to understand is how that discourages its adulteration.

Do operating or environmental performance guidelines of some sort exist
for the different re-refining techniques that are available? Can anyone
help point me in their direction?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Graham Noble