Re: Glass Etchant

Somebody posed a question over this exchange regarding alternatives for
etching bulb glass.  I regret that I do not have any specific info or actual
contacts.  I did speak with an expert in the electroplating industry who does
have experience and knowledge of etching circuit boards and glass surfaces.
My question directed to the person that posted the inquiry is what is the
purpose of the etching process?    Is it to frost the surface or to prepare it for a
coating, or is it to remove an impurity or contaminant?   Apparently, the person
recently reposted this inquiry.  The expert stated that the low response may be
due to the proprietary nature of etchants and etchant procedures.  He
suggested looking into four alternatives: (1) using a chromic - sodium fluoride
solution, (2) hot caustic solution, (3) ammonia bifluoride, (3) sodium bifluoride
(about 10 gram/liter), in a solution of sulfuric acid (about 5 to 6%), and (4) using
a vapor honing procedure.  The "vapor honing" procedure is a sandblasting
procedure that uses a slurry of  sand (fine particles) in water.

Art Coleman
Ohio, EPA, Division of Hazardous Waste Management
art_coleman@central.epa.ohio.gov