Re: P2 and Sludge

At 09:24 AM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Looking for P2 ideas!!  The Y-12 Steam Plant Waste Treatment Facility
>produces a approximately 50,000 lbs of sludge a month.  The sludge is a
>non-hazardous waste that currently goes to our landfill, however, we are
>interested in any potential P2 use we might have for it.  The sludge is a
>by-product of coal pile run off, softener and demineralzer regenerations,
>and boiler blow down.  It has a clay consistency, moisture of 10 to 20 per
>cent, a ph of 9-11, and normally a high iron content. If needed, we would
>gladly supply a lab analysis.  Any P2 suggestions?  Potential vendors? etc?
>
>Thanks
>
>Eva Irwin
>exi@ornl.gov
>Y-12 Pollution Prevention Program
>Lockheed Martin Energy Systems, Inc.
>P. O. Box 2009
>Oak Ridge, TN  37831-8222
>(423) 241-2581 phone
>(423) 241-2857 fax

I can't think of any way to reduce the amount of sludge produced, but could
you compost the sludge instead of landfilling it?  We have two companies
here in Montana that composts municipal sewage sludge and market the end
product around the nation (Glacier Gold out of Olney and EkoCompost out of
Missoula).  Let me know if you would like more information on these
composting operations.  Good luck.

Lara Dando
Pollution Prevention Tech. Assist.
Montana Pollution Prevention Program