Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater

Our office is working with a community hospital to identify and source
reduce molybdenum concentrations in a
wastewater discharge.  Molybdenum levels in the wastewater discharge have
risen as high as 2000-3000 ug/l.
Permitted discharge level (local limit) is 50 ug/l.

Steps taken by the hospital have included a MSDS review of hosptial-wide
chemicals as well as an analysis of
incoming city water supply.  The hospital reports no recent changes in
operating practices/processes/activities
or in raw materials used. Other steps taken may include further evaluation
of chemicals used (through vendor
analysis/certification)as well as working closely with wastewater testing
lab(s) to confirm test
results, validate proper QA/QC and identify possible interferences.

We are looking for information or experiences concerning molybdenum
contribution from
potential sources in a hospital/medical care setting.  In addition, any
evidence or information concerning the
mysterious generation or formation of molybdenum in wastewater is appreciated.

The facility would like a response by May 1, 1997.

Thanks,

Jeff Lewis
Ohio EPA/Office of Pollution Prevention
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
phone: (614) 644-2812    fax: (614) 728-1245
email: jeff_lewis@central.epa.ohio.gov