Re: Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater

Hi Jeff,

If this is an old facility look in the drain system of the facility. Past
practices may have caused a build-up in traps which might be leached when
various water/compounds are flushed down the drain.

Does the facility have a med waste incinerator or a solid waste incinerator?
If so it may have a wet scrubber on it which is discharging to the drain
system of the facility. Then you have to find what is being incinerated with
moly in it.

I have had no experience with moly but we have had the two previously
mentioned experiences when looking for mercury sources in hospitals.

Good luck

Jack

At 10:31 AM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Our office is working with a community hospital to identify and source
>reduce molybdenum concentrations in a
>wastewater discharge.  Molybdenum levels in the wastewater discharge have
>risen as high as 2000-3000 ug/l.
>Permitted discharge level (local limit) is 50 ug/l.
>
>Steps taken by the hospital have included a MSDS review of hosptial-wide
>chemicals as well as an analysis of
>incoming city water supply.  The hospital reports no recent changes in
>operating practices/processes/activities
>or in raw materials used. Other steps taken may include further evaluation
>of chemicals used (through vendor
>analysis/certification)as well as working closely with wastewater testing
>lab(s) to confirm test
>results, validate proper QA/QC and identify possible interferences.
>
>We are looking for information or experiences concerning molybdenum
>contribution from
>potential sources in a hospital/medical care setting.  In addition, any
>evidence or information concerning the
>mysterious generation or formation of molybdenum in wastewater is appreciated.
>
>The facility would like a response by May 1, 1997.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Lewis
>Ohio EPA/Office of Pollution Prevention
>P.O. Box 1049
>Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
>phone: (614) 644-2812    fax: (614) 728-1245
>email: jeff_lewis@central.epa.ohio.gov

Phillip (Jack) Annis
University of Wisconsin-Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
161 West Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 6000
Milwaukee, Wisconsin   53203
Phone 414-227-3371
Fax 414-227-3165