Re: Four Wheel Drive SUV popularity

Rudy,

You might try to see how Amory Lovins and his staff at the Rocky Mountain
Institute (in Snowmass, CO) have chosen to justify their work on their
concept car of the future (hypercar?)  It's a low mileage vehicle that
utilizes composite materials to absorb (without deforming) much of the
energy of a crash, thereby rebutting the argument of sfety of rigid (SUV)
vs. flexible (unibody) construction used to justify the preference for
SUVs.

As always, its a complex issue - but the RMI has been working on this.  I
don't have a web site handy for them - but a search should provide one.
That's where I ran across written information regarding their car - also
heard Lovins' speech about it on the radio a couple of years ago.

BTW - you might want to visit the RMI before or after the NPPR conference
in Denver..

cheers,

ry

--