RE: Four Wheel Drive SUV popularity

          Rudy --

          A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...) I used to
          work quite closely with the auto industry on alternative
          fuel issues, and had many discussions with people frm the
          "Big Three" regarding why fuel-efficient vehicles weren't
          more popular.

          Autos are marketed primarily on the basis of image (so what
          does my 10-year old Mazda with 200,000 miles say about
          me???) that people want to project; consequently, we're
          faced with a paradox of SUV's appealing to nature-lovers and
          active sports types (watch the commercials for SUV's if you
          doubt this..) whilst by nature of their increased
          consumption they tend to be at odds with the underlying
          values some of these people hold....

          Interestingly, fuel economy was about #8 on the list of
          things that people looked for.

          Perhaps the answer is to market not the fuel efficiency, but
          the IMAGE of being green -- linked to the rugged outdoorsy
          connotations that go with it.  Appeal to the baser
          instincts, in other words.

          Seems to work for environmental accounting.   :)

          Scott

          Ever since going thru the 1972 fuel shortage I have been a proponent
of using less. And so have a lot of other people. Something has
happened to change this. Today the Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) is
extremely popular. Since most are four wheel drive and heavy, they use
more fuel.  I read somewhere that the national Miles/Gallon usage
increased by 18% due to the popularity of the SUV. What is driving
this? From what I gather many are buying them because they feel more
secure driving that type of vehicle. The other day I saw a Ford
Explorer lightly hit by a school bus. The SUV rolled over on it's
roof. They are much more top heavy than sedans.  Last year I saw a
number of SUVs in the ditch due to icy conditions. The sedans drove
slower or stayed home. Here in Eastern North Carolina, there are no hills,
little or no snow, and I have'nt seen a dirt road in years, yet SUVs are all
over.
I would love to have one but cannot justify the need where I live. In
western PA or similar snow belt place they would be great. Must this waste
continue? Any thoughts on how to push the cost/benefit thing?

Rudy Moehrbach
Waste Reduction Resource Center
P.O.Box 29569
Raleigh, NC 27626-9569,Tel 800-476-8686,FX 919-715-1612
Homepage http://owr.ehnr.state.nc.us/wrrc1.htm