Reason for Molybdenum limitations

Mike,
Molybdenum is primarily limited by POTWs to preserve sludge
quality for beneficial reuse according to Sec. 503 of the CWA.  At
least that was the reason that the City of Winston-Salem needed to
focus on molybdenum reductioned as mentioned in an earlier message
from Lindsay Mize.

> From:          "Callahan, Mike" <Mike.Callahan@jacobs.com>
> To:            Jeff Lewis <jeff_lewis@central>
> Cc:            "'P2TECH'" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
> Subject:       RE: Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater
> Date:          Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:24:00 -0800

> Do you know the specific type of moly present ?  Cooling tower treatment
> would be the most likely source.  Other sources include lubricants (moly
> disulfide) and non-chromated primers.  These sources would tend to show
> up on a non routine basis, when someone washed off a piece of equipment
> or cleaned up some painting equipment.  Since moly is generally
> considered to be non-toxic (hence its use to replace chromium in cooling
> towers), why are you faced with meeting a 50 ppb limit ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike.callahan@jacobs.com
>  ----------
> From: Jeff Lewis
> To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
> Subject: Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater
> Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 7:31AM
>

> Our office is working with a community hospital to identify and source
> reduce molybdenum concentrations in a
> wastewater discharge.  Molybdenum levels in the wastewater discharge
> have
> risen as high as 2000-3000 ug/l.
> Permitted discharge level (local limit) is 50 ug/l.
>
> Steps taken by the hospital have included a MSDS review of hosptial-wide
> chemicals as well as an analysis of
> incoming city water supply.  The hospital reports no recent changes in
> operating practices/processes/activities
> or in raw materials used. Other steps taken may include further
> evaluation
> of chemicals used (through vendor
> analysis/certification)as well as working closely with wastewater
> testing
> lab(s) to confirm test
> results, validate proper QA/QC and identify possible interferences.
>
> We are looking for information or experiences concerning molybdenum
> contribution from
> potential sources in a hospital/medical care setting.  In addition, any
> evidence or information concerning the
> mysterious generation or formation of molybdenum in wastewater is
> appreciated.
>
> The facility would like a response by May 1, 1997.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Lewis
> Ohio EPA/Office of Pollution Prevention
> P.O. Box 1049
> Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
> phone: (614) 644-2812    fax: (614) 728-1245
> email: jeff_lewis@central.epa.ohio.gov

David Williams
NC Division of Pollution Prevention & Environmental Assistance
P.O. Box 29569
Raleigh, NC 27626-9569
Tel:  (919) 715-6527
Fax:  (919) 715-6794