Re: Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater

In NC the City of Winston-Salem did an indept study to lower its
molybdenum level in its influent.  It is used in water and boiler
treatments as a biocide.  During blow-down the spikes occur.
The substitute they preferred their industries to use was a
zinc polyphosphate.  Since they had capacity to treat the phosphates.
You can call Linda McSwain-Randell at (910) 765-0134.

>Our office is working with a community hospital to identify and
>source reduce molybdenum concentrations in a wastewater discharge.
>Molybdenum levels in the wastewater discharge have risen as high as
>2000-3000 ug/l. Permitted discharge level (local limit) is 50 ug/l.
>
>Steps taken by the hospital have included a MSDS review of
>hosptial-wide chemicals as well as an analysis of incoming city water
>supply.  The hospital reports no recent changes in operating
>practices/processes/activities or in raw materials used. Other steps
>taken may include further evaluation of chemicals used (through
>vendor analysis/certification)as well as working closely with
>wastewater testing lab(s) to confirm test results, validate proper
>QA/QC and identify possible interferences.
>
>We are looking for information or experiences concerning molybdenum
>contribution from potential sources in a hospital/medical care
>setting.  In addition, any evidence or information concerning the
>mysterious generation or formation of molybdenum in wastewater is
>appreciated.
>
>The facility would like a response by May 1, 1997.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Lewis
>Ohio EPA/Office of Pollution Prevention
>P.O. Box 1049
>Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
>phone: (614) 644-2812    fax: (614) 728-1245
>email: jeff_lewis@central.epa.ohio.gov
Lindsay
LINDSAY_MIZE@OWR.EHNR.STATE.NC.US
Phone # (919) 715-6511