RE: Molybdenum in Hospital Wastewater

Molybdenum is a big problem in Boston (Massachusetts Water Resources Assoc.).
We have over 10,000 commercial buildings that switched from hexavalent chromium
as a anticorrosion control to molybdenum.  I understand that the land
application of composted sewage sludge will lead to molybdenum uptake in the
plants.  Cows have a real rough time with this element in their digestive
system.  Our Governor was running for Senate and would not let MWRA regulate
this material.  They have started a voluntary program to reduce the impact.
This always happens when people seek "SAFE" substitutes without doing a proper
root cause analysis with a cause and effect diagram.  I have had students at
Tufts look at cooling towers to see what can be done to modify them, operate
them differently or maintain them differently as well as many other things
without focusing solely on materials subsitutes.  I could send you some
information on this if you wish.  You should contact MWRA directly.  Perhaps
someone from the Mass. OTA or TURI is familiar with this work.  Hopefully they
are not seeking another substitute!  Lord knows what that will do!!

Bob Pojasek
Cambridge Environmental Inc.
58 Charles St.
Cambridge, MA 02141