Re: Four Wheel Drive SUV popularity

I have seen this phenomenon evolve over the last few years, and
initially it was sparked (at least partly) by a desire to have a more
reliable vehicle for travel in snow/ice.  Now it has gone way beyond
that, in my opinion, because of the success of marketers in making SUVs
an "in" posession to have.

This too will pass.  But in the mean time, as you so accurately point
out, SUVs are a very wasteful means of transportation.

A partial solution, which I have been preaching for years, would be to
price gasoline to truely reflect the costs to our society.  I believe
gasoline prices of $2 to $4 dollars per gallon would do a lot to reduce
the popularity and miles of use of these vehicles.

--
Tim Sisson
956 Anderson Ferry Rd.