Re: Four Wheel Drive SUV popularity

Duncan Philips wrote:

> In message <199703262350.SAA06261@celeste.INS.CWRU.Edu>, "Ralph E.
> Cooper, Ph.D." <rec3@po.cwru.edu> writes
> >
> >Rudy -- Raise gasoline prices high enough and they will almost all disappear
> >to be replaced by mass transit and little commuter cars.
> >

> Sorry.. but I disagree..  I'm not aware that this commonly held belief
> has ever been proved..  here in the UK we pay about three times the cost
> for petrol (gasoline) than in the US and it hasn't made any difference.
> All that happens is that people pay more for their transport costs.
> Remember also that a successful economy relies of distribution of goods
> and services and restriction of this will have wider economic impacts.
>
> --
> Duncan Philips
> e-mail to: Duncan@genesis2.demon.co.uk

Those economic consequences would include lower costs of locally
produced goods, thus discouraging wasteful transport and encouraging
local economic development and all the benefits that would follow (local
jobs, resource management, higher quality goods: we tend to be more
responsible when the operation is in our own backyard, and the company
is more sensitive to the community/environment when they are a
neighbor).  BTW, this discussion is at the heart of what P2 is all
about.

Why would consumers continue to pay for their gas-guzzling toys even at
much higher fuel prices?  For that you must look to psychology ("the
madness of crowds"), sociology (we British are just as successful as any
Americans, we've earned our toys, i.e., '90's corporate culture), and
biology (car size and power: dominance and fitness amongst one's
species).

Laura Lagrossa