Re: EPCRA compliance

I do a lot of benchmarking and inventory work using publicly available
waste data bases and I've known the TRI since it was a baby.  I've found
that there are a lot of simple flags for finding certain types of
misreporting.  In fact, in emissions inventory work I wind up having to
make corrections to reported data because total reported emissions, for
example, are lower than the sum of the reported emissions to individual
media.  So one type of reporting error is data that is inconsistent.  It's
a lot harder to tell if a company should be reporting a chemical and
isn't, but data from several companies with similar product slates can
identify where this type of misreporting occurs.  And there are cases, of
course, where a facility simply doesn't report at all when they clearly
fall under the requirements for reporting.  I can send you a draft of an
article on organochlorine emissions in the Great Lakes basin that explains
my corrections methodology and would be happy to talk to you about other
red flags in TRI reporting, if you're interested.

 Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.                   Process Profiles
                                                      P.O. Box 8264
 1-818-878-0454                            Calabasas, CA 91372-8264
 rosselot@netcom.com                                         U.S.A.