Re: Four Wheel Drive SUV Popula

Rudy and the rest of the list,

As Bill Wilson pointed out, "light duty trucks" are not subject to
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards.  If a car manufacturer
sells lots of low fuel economy "cars" (gas guzzlers--low mpg or km/liter
for our friends abroad), the company either has to balance those sales
with high fuel economy cars (gas sippers) to achieve a certain average or
it has to pay a gas guzzler tax (I don't know the required average mpg
nor the details of the tax).  However, sales of "light duty trucks" don't
fall under this regulatory scheme.

Also, with regards to emissions standards, the 1990 Clean Air Act
Amendments (Title II) allow higher emissions (grams/mile) of VOCs, NOx,
and CO for vehicles over 3,750 lbs. than those under (whether cars or
light trucks).  Still looser tailpipe standards apply to "light duty"
trucks over 5,750 lbs.  (I think the NOx standard is weaker for diesels,
though SUVs are generally gasoline powered, right?  I don't know about
particulate emissions standards.)

I hope this is helpful.

Rod Sobin
sobin@ctc.com