Re: P2 in Pretreatment Permits and Programs

From: "LINDSAY MIZE" <Lindsay_Mize@owr.ehnr.state.nc.us>
To: "P2TECH" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:23:32 EST
Subject: Re: P2 in Pretreatment Permits and Programs

Mike,
In NC we have developed a relationship with the State Pretreatment
Staff (NC is a delegated state) and the Local Pretreatment
coordinators.   This relationship started with a P2 grant program but
has evolved into mostly technical and compliance assistance.  The
reason for the discontinued grant program was that $20,000.00 was not
enough for these local coordinators.  They already wear 5 different
hats, so as I was told "make it a Hundred thousand and I'll apply".
Of course NC doesn't have those resources, so we found other ways of
assisting.

Our Staff (the State's P2 Program) worked with the State's
Pretreatment Staff and modified the Pretreatment regulations to allow
the following:

The SIU application shall contain (M) Description of waste reduction
activities being utilized.

The POTW Director is authorized to:  (vi) Require SIUs to develop a
waste reduction plan and implement waste reduction techniques and
technologies.

These changes allow the local staff to implement P2 as needed.  The
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utility Department has required its SIUs to
develop plans.

Our staff has also worked with compliance issues.  Since we are
non-regulatory, we have developed some language to be used by the
local pretreatment staff in their compliance orders.  It states that
the industry will contact us or a consultant to conduct a waste
reduction survey.  A summary of this survey will be submitted to the
regulatory authority.  This arrangement has been so successful that
we have had to limit its use.  We have approximately 10 staff for the
State of NC and some municipalities want to write this language into
their permits as well as their compliance orders.  With approximately
1200 SIUs in the state this can't be done.   We place a priority on
situations that are causing POTWs to fail their NPDES limits.

This relationship has allowed us to benefit the POTWs in other ways
such as presenting information on "hot" topics at their annual
meeting, working with the local WEF chapter to work with industrial
wastewater dischargers, and answering industrial P2 questions on
a one to one basis.

I hope this information is useful.  Please feel free to contact me if
you have questions.