Re: (Fwd) painting problems

----Jean Waters wrote:  ----------------------------------------------------
>	Could you please help me find answers to the following painting
>questions:
>
>2)  gun efficiency
>	One company is using electrostatic guns to paint the
>outside of cylinders.  The cylinders range from about 1-6 inches
>in diameter.  There is alot of overspray.  They said when they
>adjusted their guns to get a smaller fan they couldn't paint fast
>enough.  They do paint a variety of parts.  Sometimes they paint
>big pieces of equipment in addition to tubes.  My perception is
>they're not getting much wrap currently.  Any ideas on how to
>encourage them?  They have new, lightweight guns.  How hard is it to
>adjust the fan?  Perhaps they could use a small fan for the small
>tubes and adjust it bigger for the other equipment?  They also can
>have 3-4 color changes per day.

Perform a simple cost analysis the following way:
Benefits of you suggestion
1.  calculate the cost of lost raw material due to lower transfer
efficiency.  Rember that transfer efficiency has two parts (1) paint on the
part versus that that misses the part and ends up in the filters/air and (2)
sections on the part that are overpainted -- i.e. too thick (for example, if
the spec calls for 1 mil thickness and half of the part has a 2 mil
thickness caused by how the paint is sprayed on, then the part has 33% too
much paint on it!  This is a real cost to the company that could be reduced
by applying a more uniform coating to the part -- i.e. 1  mil everywhere)
2.  calculate the decrease in VOC emissions and determine if this has any
economic value (i.e. permitting requriements, costs, etc)
3.  perform activity based costing on the operation to see if there are
other savings (i.e. does less emissions significantly change the time the
environmental staff must spend on regulatory compliance).
4.  determine if there is a quality improvement due to the smaller fan
pattern -- the large pattern may be putting too much paint on the part or
perhaps areas that are too thin or too thick that cause quality problems.

Costs of you suggestion
1.  increase in labor costs for painting
2.  others that might include changes in quality (I am purely speculating here)
3.  increase labor costs for time spent changing the fan pattern on the gun

Your analysis may show that it is cost effective to have guns preset for
large and small parts rathter than taking the time to change the fan pattern
on the gun.

Tim

Timothy J. Greiner  MBA, MCP
Greiner Environmental