Re: The real definition

At 08:11 AM 4/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Perhaps this question has been posed before.  However, I have no
>recollection of discussions concerning it.  I don't believe I have found the
>terms "source reduction" (SR) and "pollution prevention" (P2) defined.
>We all know what SR is and even how to do it.  But many people call P2
>different things.  For some people, P2 is SR only.  For others P2 includes
>waste minimization and treatment activities.  Does anyone have a citation
>of a definition of these two terms?
>
>Thanks and happy searching!
>
>Kenny Steward
>Pollution Prevention
>Pantex Plant

One of the problems in this area is that there is a lot of political heat
and not much light associated with the history of the terms.  Source
reduction is a generic term that relates to activities that reduce the waste
being produced by an activity.  Some people equate pollution prevention with
source reduction.

Waste minimization is typically thought of as activities that reduce the
waste being disposed or treated by reuse, recovery, etc.  Some people,
including EPA in the 1970s and 1980s, thought of waste minimization as
anything that reduces the amount of waste being disposed in land disposal
units, such that incineration becomes waste minimization.  Some treat fuel
use as waste minimization and others do not!

I have an extensive section that was in a text I wrote on pollution
prevention for a seminar short course for managers.  If you send me your
address, I will send it to you.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
3475 Norwood, Suite N