Re: The real definition

The following is from the EPA's Facility Pollution Prevention
handbook, which can be found electronically at:
http://www.epa.ohio.gov/opp/guide/p2pch3.html

"Pollution prevention" means the use of source reduction techniques in
order to reduce risk to public health, safety, welfare and the
environment and, as a second preference, the use of environmentally
sound recycling to achieve these same goals. Pollution prevention
avoids cross-media transfers of wastes and/or pollutants and is
multi-media in scope. It addresses all types of waste and
environmental releases to the air, water and land. (Note: This is Ohio
EPA's working definition of pollution prevention. See Chapter 4 of
this manual for U.S. EPA's definition.)

"Source reduction" means any effort to reduce, at the source, the
quantity of waste generated, toxic chemical use, or any release into
the environment. Source reduction measures include, but are not
limited to, process modifications, feedstock purity, good operating
and management practices, increases in the efficiency of machinery,
and recycling within a waste generating or other production process.
(Ohio EPA, Office of Pollution Prevention, Fact Sheet #1, March, 1993)

> Date:          Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:11:45 -0600
> From:          KENNY D STEWARD <KSTEWARD@pantex.com>
> To:            p2tech@great-lakes.net
> Subject:       The real definition

> Perhaps this question has been posed before.  However, I have no
> recollection of discussions concerning it.  I don't believe I have found the
> terms "source reduction" (SR) and "pollution prevention" (P2) defined.
> We all know what SR is and even how to do it.  But many people call P2
> different things.  For some people, P2 is SR only.  For others P2 includes
> waste minimization and treatment activities.  Does anyone have a citation
> of a definition of these two terms?
>
> Thanks and happy searching!
>
> Kenny Steward
> Pollution Prevention