Re: The real definition

Ralph, I'd like a copy of that short course, if you please.

Josie Phillips

At 11:54 AM 4/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:11 AM 4/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Perhaps this question has been posed before.  However, I have no
>>recollection of discussions concerning it.  I don't believe I have found the
>>terms "source reduction" (SR) and "pollution prevention" (P2) defined.
>>We all know what SR is and even how to do it.  But many people call P2
>>different things.  For some people, P2 is SR only.  For others P2 includes
>>waste minimization and treatment activities.  Does anyone have a citation
>>of a definition of these two terms?
>>
>>Thanks and happy searching!
>>
>>Kenny Steward
>>Pollution Prevention
>>Pantex Plant
>>
>One of the problems in this area is that there is a lot of political heat
>and not much light associated with the history of the terms.  Source
>reduction is a generic term that relates to activities that reduce the waste
>being produced by an activity.  Some people equate pollution prevention with
>source reduction.
>
>Waste minimization is typically thought of as activities that reduce the
>waste being disposed or treated by reuse, recovery, etc.  Some people,
>including EPA in the 1970s and 1980s, thought of waste minimization as
>anything that reduces the amount of waste being disposed in land disposal
>units, such that incineration becomes waste minimization.  Some treat fuel
>use as waste minimization and others do not!
>
>I have an extensive section that was in a text I wrote on pollution
>prevention for a seminar short course for managers.  If you send me your
>address, I will send it to you.
>
>Ralph
>
>Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
>3475 Norwood, Suite N
>Shaker Heights, OH 44122-4975
>e-mail:	rec3@po.cwru.edu
>Voice:	216-991-6837 (w/voice mail)
>Fax:	216-991-6849

L. Josie Phillips
CKY, Inc.
140 East Division Street, Suite C-3
Oak Ridge, TN  37830
P) 423-483-4376 ext. 205     F) 423-482-3585    E) josie@ckyinc.com

"Every speaker has a mouth;
 An arrangement rather neat.
 Sometimes it's filled with wisdom.
 Sometimes it's filled with feet."				  ^   ^
	 - Robert Orben, American humorist and speechwriter   	  '    '
						  ~~~
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!!!"
		-Unknown