Re: galvanized coatings and lead

At 02:17 PM 4/29/97 EST, you wrote:
>Hello All
>
>We are currently working with a company that cleans galvanized steel
>parts prior to powder coating.  The cleaning line has alkaline
>clean, phosphoric acid, and polymer seal stages.
>The company has lead problems in their wastewater.
>
>Is anyone aware if the galvanized coating has lead as a minor
>constituent.  I have been unable to find out.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Greg
>
>Greg Newman
>NC Division of Pollution Prevention
>and Environmental Assistance
>PO Box 29569
>Raleigh, NC  27626-9569
>Tel: (919) 715-6526
>Fax: (919) 715-6794
>Email: Greg_Newman@owr.ehnr.state.nc.us

Unless special care is taken to eliminate it, lead is copresent in
industrial quality zinc.  Some galvanizers use(d) lead as a part of the
process, so lead would always be involved in their parts.

I had fun doing the first sets of TRI reports for a galvanizer as we tried
to figure out where all the lead came from and went!

Ralph
Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
3475 Norwood, Suite N
Shaker Heights, OH 44122-4975