Re: The real definition -Reply

With Ralph's response I thought I should add that for EPA "waste
minimization" has a definition as well.  Under RCRA "waste
minimization" is defined as source reduction and recycling
(beneficial use/reuse and reclamation).  "Waste minimization" does
not include treatment, volume reduction, or recycling activities that
constitute disposal or burning for energy recovery.  Again this
definition applies only to RCRA hazardous wastes.

Lisa Brown
EnSafe
Memphis, TN
lbrown@ensafe.com

>>> "rec3@po.cwru.edu"  4/29/97, 02:05pm >>>
At 08:11 AM 4/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Perhaps this question has been posed before.  However, I have no
>recollection of discussions concerning it.  I don't believe I have
found the
>terms "source reduction" (SR) and "pollution prevention" (P2)
defined.
>We all know what SR is and even how to do it.  But many people call
P2
>different things.  For some people, P2 is SR only.  For others P2
includes
>waste minimization and treatment activities.  Does anyone have a
citation
>of a definition of these two terms?
>
>Thanks and happy searching!
>
>Kenny Steward
>Pollution Prevention
>Pantex Plant

One of the problems in this area is that there is a lot of political
heat
and not much light associated with the history of the terms.  Source
reduction is a generic term that relates to activities that reduce
the waste
being produced by an activity.  Some people equate pollution
prevention with
source reduction.

Waste minimization is typically thought of as activities that reduce
the
waste being disposed or treated by reuse, recovery, etc.  Some
people,
including EPA in the 1970s and 1980s, thought of waste minimization
as
anything that reduces the amount of waste being disposed in land
disposal
units, such that incineration becomes waste minimization.  Some treat
fuel
use as waste minimization and others do not!

I have an extensive section that was in a text I wrote on pollution
prevention for a seminar short course for managers.  If you send me
your
address, I will send it to you.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.