drawing compounds for hot rolled steel rod

I am an employee at the University of Florida Industrial Assessment
Center which is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.  We do free
energy and productivity audits for manufacturing companies in Florida
and South Georgia.  I am currently working on a consultation at a
steel wire manufacturer.  The manufacturer presently uses a drawing
compound on the steel rod immediately before the rod is drawn into a
specific size wire.  I am looking for other possibiliies to
lubricate the rod so that it may be drawn.  I am researching other
possibilities to see if any other options may be more cost-effective.
Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if
you have any other sources I may inquire, that would be helpful as
well.

Thank you
Kolten Sarver