Definition of P2

Kenny,

In Portland, Oregon, we view pollution prevention as part of the pollution
management hierarchy.  The pollution management hierarchy has at its base
treatment, control, landfill (typically high cost activities with less
environmental benefit); the next level on the pollution management hierarchy is
recycling (a waste is present, and managed in a manner that has less
environmental impact); and the top of the pollution management hierarchy is
pollution prevention, encompassing source reduction, conservation and reuse
(meaning PRIOR TO A WASTE taking on an identity of its own, and providing
greatest environmental benefit).

You have raised a very good question.  I feel you will find an array of

Margaret Reich
Pollution Prevention Program
Portland, Oregon
P-503.823.7623