tax waste not work

Hi all,

 Another paper -- short, coherent, wonderful -- on this subject is
"Fostering Environmentally Sustainable Development:  Four Parting
Suggestions for the World Bank"  by Herman Daley in Ecological Economics
10(1994) 183-187.  His four suggestions: 1. -   Stop counting consumption of
natural capital as income.  2. Tax labor and income less and tax resource
throughput more. 3. On Natural capital - maximize productivity and increase
the supply. 4. (briefly) Trade locally.

Janet Clark

At 01:20 PM 5/12/97 EDT, Sobin, Rodney wrote:
>Hi fellow P2Techers,
>
>Following the recent e-mail on the "Tax Waste, Not Work" monograph, I
>thought I'd note for those interested in this topic that there is a
>significant literature on the notion of taxing "bads" (pollution, traffic
>congestion, resource consumption) rather than "goods" (labor, savings,
>investment).   One example is "Green Fees: How a Tax Shift Can Work for
>the Environment and the Economy" by Bob Repetto, et al. (1992) from the
>World Resources Institute (www.wri.org).  Also, I saw in the newspaper
>this weekend that the Worldwatch Institute just came out with something
>on this topic.
>
>Rodney Sobin
>sobin@ctc.com

Janet Clark
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts
One University Ave.
Lowell, MA  01854-2866
Tel 508-934-3346
Fax 508-934-3050
email clarkjan@turi.org

TURI has a new web site at www.turi.org or //turi.uml.edu  Projects, P2Gems,
Surface Cleaning Lab, publications list all featured.