re: Uses for Nylon Yarn Scraps

Wendy, I forwarded your question to my coworker Aarti Sharma, who runs
P2TEX, a textile industry electronic forum, and produces "TAPP-IN", an
environmental newsletter for the textile industry. Here are the

*1. Wendy might try contacting the Southeast Waste Exchange at 704 547
2270
> email MLMAY@unccvm.uncc.edu.  There are several listings in the
> January/February Waste Watcher for companies wanting synthetic fiber
> waste
> products.
> Jerry Tew [AATCC]

*2. To quote Carl P. Lehner, Pres. of Leigh Fibers, Inc. at the recent
> 2nd Annual Conference on Recycling of Fiberous Textile and Carpet
> Waste; "Processed colored carpet waste is mostly used in the
> production of garnetted and needlepunched carpet underlay
> pads....Processed white materials go into different
> markets....Processed synthetic fibers often are used in garnetted
> furniture batting."
> Also at this conference methods were discussed for depolymerizing
> nylon 6 and 66 by Dr. Malcolm B. Polk at GA Tech.
> If Wendy needs a list of nylon waste handlers, I recommend she check
> out the website www.fcs.uga.edu/tmi/wastedb/
>
> Mary Sue Brewer          Textiles, Marketing & Interiors
> 367 Dawson Hall          University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 30602
> (706)542-3758            email  msbrewer@fcs.uga.edu

*3. There is a group known as CCACTI (a university based textile, rug
and apparel consortium). Their 1997 annual report to industry discusses
various solid waste management projects to be undertaken in 1997:
Biological / chemical conversion of fibrous waste (composting fibrious
dust for agricultural, horticultural, and geotextile applications)
Carpet recycling logistics tool (estimating costs of material collection
and processing; optimizing reclamation and reuse process)
Waste carpet, apparel, and textile fiber for soil reinforcement (use in
road construction) Waste carpet / fabric in composites / laminates
(plastic composite materials containing carpet and fabric scraps)
Contact Susan Griffen Shows from Georgia Tech (Economic Development
Institute) for a copy of the report that has project abstracts and
contact information - 404-894-6113; susan.shows@edi.gatech.edu

*4. The February 15 TAPP-IN newsletter described a research program that
may have some good ideas for you. Here's the abstract and some contact
information:
The Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR)
program: A research project to develop new methods to utilize the
maximum potential of municipal and industrial solid waste and produce
products with high dollar value.  The research has a major textile
component.  Auburn University, University of Alabama at Birmingham,
University of Alabama at Huntsville and University of South Alabama
formed an integrated, interdisciplinary, multi-institutional research
team to tackle the problem.  In the first year of research the group has
(among other successes):
1)  Developed two novel techniques to economically separate and reuse
post-consumer carpet. Both techniques can reclaim nylon fibers with
purity of over 99%.  Applications include all applications that nylon
could be used for such as fiber spinning, plastic parts, composites,
etc.
 2) Designed a new process, along with economic analysis, to convert
plastic and textile wastes into liquid transportation fuels by direct
liquefaction techniques.
These technologies can be used both by waste management companies as
well as inhouse by companies generating the waste.  The thrust of this
work has not only been to develop a scientific base to solve the solid
waste problem but also to educate the public about the problem.  The
project's web homepage contains information about project activities,
investigators, newsletter and annual reports.
(http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/te/epscor/ nsf.html.) For more
information, contact:  Dr. Yasser Gowayed, Department of Textile
Engineering, Auburn University (334) 844-5496, ygowayed@eng.auburn.edu.

                                         Melissa Malkin
                              Pollution Prevention Program
                                  Research Triangle Institute
             POB 12194. Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709-2194
         (ph)   919-541-6154                        (fax)   919-541-7155
                                       http://www.rti.org