rinse contamination

The cleanliness of your rinse water will depend on incoming water qualities
and desired quality of the product.  So if you are using conductivity,
measure the conductivity of the incoming water and as a first impirical
test, limit the conductivity to double the incoming value.  If product
quality is acceptable, continue raising the conductivity level until product
quality becomes a problem or until you don't have the guts to go any higher.
 Be sure the probe is kept clean and for a counterflow set-up, the probe
should go in the cleanest cell.  Also, don't let the incoming water impinge
directly on the probe and make sure the water is well-agitated (depending on
part fragility).   Make sure the equipment is calibrated regularly.

Finally, in my experience, I would expect you can go quite a bit higher on
your control levels.

Robert Lundquist
Assistant Director
Minnesota Technical Assistance Program