plating rinse waters

With good controls and 1-2 additional tanks per rinse step, we have seen
plating operations reduce the water use to below 0.1 gpm per rinse step
(cascading from the final rinse to the previous rinse to first rinse at each
step), while producing parts that are more cleanly rinsed than before.  A
three tank rinse step is usually very cost effective.

With reduced flow comes higher concentration in the rinse water and
therefore less expensive recovery, recycle or treatment.  We have seen some
operations use the most concentrated rinse as make up water in heated
treatment tanks for the treatment previous to the rinse.

The lower flow rates make RO feasible.

Replacing tap or well water with reverse osmosis water can prove financially
beneficial.  The treatment tank life is extended, since the inflow of water
borne contaminants is reduced.  We have seen treatment tank life extended by
six to ten fold (e.g., from replacement once a month to less than twice a
year).  Of course, there is a corresponding reduction in the waste treatment
and disposal cost, or recycling costs, as well as the cost of new chemicals
for the treatment tank.

RO water also improves quality, since the rinse steps do not leave unwanted
minerals on the product.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
3475 Norwood, Suite N