Garbage Diposals & Dishwashers

I would like to know what people think about garbage disposals. After taking a
few waastewater courses in college, I was convinced that the use of garbage
disposals for food waste was better than disposal in landfills. Other friends
have said that the thick waste produced by garbage disposals create problems
when people try to dispose of eggshells and skins of vegetables which are not
easily degraded.

What is the consensus? Better to throw everything possible into a garbage
disposal or into a conventional garbage can?

Also, are automatic dishwashers more or less efficient than handwashing?

Thanks

maya_shah@radian.com