Re: Garbage Diposals & Dishwashers

What I hear from our POTW is that household or restaurant/institution garbage
disposals are NOT good.  As others have mentioned, composting food waste and
recycling other materials (such as paper, etc.) is preferred.  Material which
goes through a garbage disposal has potential to cause build up and plug sewer
lines; cause blockages at pump stations; and encourage rodent populations to
homestead and cause nuisance in certain portions of lines.

Margaret Reich
Portland, Oregon Pollution Prevention Program
pdxp2@hevanet.com
503.823.7623