Re: Re[2]: Garbage Diposals & Dishwashers

I've had a few questions about the sewage sludge composting facility
that's located near my house.  (I mentioned it in an earlier posting on
this thread.) So here's more info:  It's called the Rancho Las Virgenes
Composting Facility and serves an area with about 60,000 residents.  The
engineer is Carlos Reyes and he can be contacted at 818/878-1310.
Construction on this facility was finished in September of 1993.  The
reason for the odor problem they used to have is that the media in the
biofilters they were using was deteriorating faster than they had
anticipated, so the biofilters have been retrofitted with new media and
they expect there to be no future problems.  A large distributor of
nitrohumus supplies the composting facility with the bulking agent it
requires in return for a set amount of compost, and then water district
customers can load as much into their own containers as they want for free
(within reason).

 Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.                   Process Profiles
                                                      P.O. Box 8264
 1-818-878-0454                            Calabasas, CA 91372-8264
 rosselot@netcom.com                                         U.S.A.