Re: Garbage Diposals & Dishwashers

At 10:30 AM 5/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to know what people think about garbage disposals. After
taking a
>few waastewater courses in college, I was convinced that the use of garbage
>disposals for food waste was better than disposal in landfills. Other
friends
>have said that the thick waste produced by garbage disposals create problems
>when people try to dispose of eggshells and skins of vegetables which are
not
>easily degraded.
>
>What is the consensus? Better to throw everything possible into a garbage
>disposal or into a conventional garbage can?
>
>Also, are automatic dishwashers more or less efficient than handwashing?
>
>Thanks
>

>maya_shah@radian.com

Hi Maya,

I really wish we could build soil at the rate we pave it.  For those
without space outside for compost piles or - if need be - totally enclosed
containers, I know of some successful vermiculture technologies for
appartments. I can imagine commercial scale vermiculture for schools,
businesses and caterers is a technology that needs some tweaking!  New
skills for a new age?

Janet Clark
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts
One University Ave.
Lowell, MA  01854-2866
Tel 508-934-3346
Fax 508-934-3050
email clarkjan@turi.org

TURI has a new web site at www.turi.org or //turi.uml.edu  Projects,
P2Gems, Surface Cleaning Lab, publications list all featured.