FWD: HVLP Painting Equipment & Robots

-- BEGIN included message

    From: R. Illig
    E-mail: illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us

    Kirsten,

    I am not a professional so please take this info as a possible
    suggestion.

    The use of a robot should not make a difference as long as the
    robot is programable, or is capable, of some basic adjustments.  I
    spoke with one facility that had used robots but had to eliminate
    them when the product line became variable in size...the robots
    dated to about 1988 and could only handle one program.  Upgrading
    the robots was reportedly too costly a venture and retraining the
    robots was much too time consumming.

    HVLP can be a very efficient system.  Electrostatic systems or
    powder coatings, especially since you mentioned metal (based?)
    furniture (and the facts that they already operate an oven and
    perform a touch up operation)(caution: the oven MAY need serious
    modification to handle powder coatings, also touch up operations
    CAN be a source of some concern, waste-wise)(this may depend more
    on the actual shape of the furniture...round vs flat surfaces,
    curved vs angled), may be an even more efficient consideration.  I
    was recently given the impression that electrostatic systems may
    be turned on and off as needed to control Faraday Cage effects,
    which would minimize the need to perfrom touchups.  Also,
    electrostatics seem adaptable to most air-systems.  I'm not sure
    if a robot could also manipulate the electricity at critical
    moments, but can't see why not.

    A recently visited cabinet-maker replaced HVLP guns with what
    SEEMED to be (they talked alot about better control of the spray
    cone from the gun and overspray) an Air-Assisted HVLP gun,
    although they didn't call it by that name (I was unable to get a
    lot of details but am begining to think they actually replaced an
    airless spray system with HVLP).  They reported that lower
    pressures were needed, a large reduction in paint usage,
    significantly less overspray (and associated waste), and good
    quality.  (They also reported that when a competing company
    claimed their guns could perform the same way, the guns were
    tested and reportedly DID NOT compare.)

    I hope this serves to aid, and not confuse options.

    Ric

-- END included message