Re: Ammonia Refrigeration

At 08:15 AM 6/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Re: Ammonia Refrigeration I am working with a beer brewer who
>currently cools his product with a refrigeration system uti-
>lizing 60,000 pounds of ammonia.  With the CAA rules on risk
>management planning going into effect, he is looking for a
>substitute system that would not break the bank, and yet keep
>him in good graces with applicable rules and regs and out of
>necessity of doing RMP.  This is a new area for me.  What are
>similar industries doing about replacing ammonia refrigeration?
>Any thoughts?  David F.  Lawrence Indiana Dept.  of
>Environmental Mgmt., 504 North Broadway, Gary, IN 46402.  Phone
>(219) 881-6720; FAX (219) 881-6745; E-mail
>dlawr@opn.dem.state.in.  us.

Almost any other system is either going to be very expensive or contain
another toxic substance that will cause other problems.  My suggestion is to
bite the bullet and do the RMP.  I worked with a brewer in Texas before and
it turns out that the RMP for a brewery is fairly simple and not terribly
expensive.

Also, have your client look at installing monitors -- that is, prestationed
unmanned fire nozzles, with heavy misting capability, as a mitigating
measure.  They are not terribly expensive and can be very effective in
knocking down anhydrous ammonia.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
3475 Norwood, Suite N