RE: HVLP painting equipment and robots -Reply

Bob,

You brought up some good questions.  That is why the Pollution
Prevention Opportunity Assessment (PPOA) is such a good tool.  You
probably remember the basics of a PPOA from Chicago several years
ago.  We, the Pollution Prevention Technical Team at Pantex Plant,
completed a PPOA prior to purchasing our electrostatic powder painting
system.  When you are focusing on what chemicals are used and what
wastes are generated in a given process, you tend to expand your
thought process to those proposed alternatives and their effects on
waste generation.  I think you bring up a good point that needs to be
stressed.  Don't box your thoughts in to solve a waste generation
problem, only to create another one.  Say no to tunnel vision.  Good
Thought!

Kenny

Kenny Steward
Pollution Prevention
Pantex Plant
ksteward@pantex.com

>>> <rpojasek%sprynet.com@internet.pantex.com> 06/27/97 05:33am

It takes too much time to clean between colors.  Waste powder paints
can be in
excess of 400 pounds per day for some operations.  Some pigments
may have metals
in them - metallic colors.  Except for automotive, most people change
colors
frequently rendering the recycle option useless.  Vendors stress the
removal of
VOC's from the air and do not tell about the solid and hazardous waste
streams
that are now created.  The solids must be tested for TCLP.  How often
do we
recommend changes without considering the consequences of the
alternative?

Bob Pojasek
rpojasek@sprynet.com

-- BEGIN included message

It takes too much time to clean between colors.  Waste powder paints can be in
excess of 400 pounds per day for some operations.  Some pigments may have metals
in them - metallic colors.  Except for automotive, most people change colors
frequently rendering the recycle option useless.  Vendors stress the removal of
VOC's from the air and do not tell about the solid and hazardous waste streams
that are now created.  The solids must be tested for TCLP.  How often do we
recommend changes without considering the consequences of the alternative?

Bob Pojasek
rpojasek@sprynet.com

-- END included message