Re: HVLP painting equipment and robots

rpojasek@sprynet.com wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Mixed colors in powder paint go on with a speckled color - each particle keeps
> its color when cured.  This is unacceptable for most uses although some of you
> that are more artistically inclined might think it is COOL!  Are you TREATING a
> waste by solidifing it?  Do you run the TCPL before solidification?  Compliance
> with confusing regulations is perhaps the very reason why many of us seek to
> avoid them altogether by cleaner production and pollution prevention.  My point
> remains - do we consider all the consequences of the alternatives that we
> recommend.  Powder paints for most lines create a NEW waste stream when it
> eliminates the VOC waste stream.  Perhaps the vendors could work on this instead
> of hiding it when they peddle their wares.
>
> Bob Pojasek
> rpojasek@sprynet.com

Bob:

I was aware of the "speckled" finish resulting from curing mixed powder
coatings and it apparently isn't widely used except possibly for
surfaces that require protection from oxidation but are not readily
visible such as the inside of metal housings.  To my knowledge, TCLP was
not routinely done since the operators claimed awareness from the MSDS
and past experience regarding the powder being "OK" to toss.  Obviously,
this argument is very easily applied to any and all situations where
there is no desire to spend the money to run TCLP. What can I say?

Paul Saunders
pjsco@worldnet.att.net