Recycling post consumer paints

Hello folks!

Thought you may be able to assist me with this little dilemma we have
here with a paint manufacturer in Australia who is trying to work out
how we can effectively recycle paint, at the post consumer stage.  That
is paint stripped back off products as well as paints left in cans which
may be contaminated.  Anyone got any ideas?

He was also wondering if there were any legislations or regulations
about paint standards which would cut out that cheaper range of paints
of low performance - which continue to harm the environment through
continuous reapplication, deterioration etc.

There is also the issue of packaging of paints!  Not to mention VOC's!

Any information would be useful!

Kirsty Mate
Research Officer
Environmental Design