Re: Alternatives for Pentachlorphenol Wood Preservative

Moulton, Peter T wrote:

> Dear P2Tech,
>     Anybody out there know of substitutes for pentachlorophenol when it
> comes to utility poles?
>     I am particularly interested in the names of utilities that have
> switched from pentachlorophenol to creosote (and vice-versa) or have
> switched from pentachlorophenol to chromated copper arsenate (the stuff
> that gives the green tinge to pressure treated lumber used for decks,
> etc.)     (and vice-versa).
>     Also I would like to talk to any companies you know of that were
> THINKING of switching, but decided not to.
>
>     Information on any other alternatives, like fiberglass impregnation
> of rotten wood on docks (which I have heard of, but know very little
> about), would be appreciated also.
>
>     Thanks,
> Peter T. Moulton
> Division of Technical Services, Bureau of Remediation
> State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection
> State House Station #17
> Augusta, ME  04333
> tel. 207-287-8161   Fax. 207-287-7826
> Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
> case (upper or lower) does not matter on email addressThere is a company in Millington, TN that manufactures wood
preservative, they also work with utility companies to determine if
poles are serviceable and make inspections. Company name is Osmose,
sorry but I don't have a phone number.  They may give you some
additional insight.

Good Luck, Bob Fletcher, CET, CHMM