From:  Bob Fletcher[SMTP:romaland@earthlink.net]
Sent:  Thursday, July 03, 1997 2:17 PM
To:  p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject:  Re: Alternatives for Pentachlorphenol Wood Preservative

Moulton, Peter T wrote:

> Dear P2Tech,
>     Anybody out there know of substitutes for pentachlorophenol when it
> comes to utility poles?
>     I am particularly interested in the names of utilities that have
> switched from pentachlorophenol to creosote (and vice-versa) or have
> switched from pentachlorophenol to chromated copper arsenate (the stuff
> that gives the green tinge to pressure treated lumber used for decks,
> etc.)     (and vice-versa).
>     Also I would like to talk to any companies you know of that were
> THINKING of switching, but decided not to.
>
>     Information on any other alternatives, like fiberglass impregnation
> of rotten wood on docks (which I have heard of, but know very little
> about), would be appreciated also.
>
>     Thanks,
> Peter T. Moulton
> Division of Technical Services, Bureau of Remediation
> State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection
> State House Station #17
> Augusta, ME  04333
> tel. 207-287-8161   Fax. 207-287-7826
> Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
> case (upper or lower) does not matter on email addressThere is a
company in
Millington, TN that manufactures wood
preservative, they also work with utility companies to determine if
poles are serviceable and make inspections. Company name is Osmose,
sorry but I don't have a phone number.  They may give you some
additional insight.

Good Luck, Bob Fletcher, CET, CHMM

FROM YOUR FOLLOW-UP MESSAGE
Peter, I failed to tell you that Osmose is located in Millington, TN.  I
know they do survey work with utility companies on the serviceability of
utility poles and they actually manufacture the wood treatment chemicals
at the Millington Facility.  Millington is located north of Memphis, TN
should be area code 901.  Hope this helps, Bob Fletcher, CET,CHMM

Bob,
I called information and got the number  901 357-1703.  I verified that
it works.
Thanks a lot.