Rustproofing Operations

    From: R. Illig

    It was my impression that auto rust-proofing and undercoating was
    an outdated concept.  I seem to remember reports of several years
    ago which claimed that drilling holes and spraying
    "rust-inhibiting" materials underneath and into auto cavities
    actually caused more harm than good.  (Although I always thought
    undercoating would be very useful.)  I believe these materials
    often resulted in the attraction or build-up of moisture, a
    condition which leads to rust and corrosion.  The use of steel
    with better corrosion resistance, along with improved design, may
    have helped to minimize the need for application of inhibitors.

    The last time I asked about getting my car undercoated (which had
    to be at least 5 years ago), my Toyota dealer told me they would
    no longer perform the service and recommended I do not waste my
    time and money.

    The application of hazardous waste materials under the guise of
    "in-house recycling", outside of the waste generating process, may
    be stretching the intent of the regs a bit.

    Ric