Re: Rustproofing Operations

The newer automobiles are given  coatings of anticorrosion materials
after complete assembly and welding of the frame, fenders, etc
structure using the E-coat(electrocoating).  This is much superior to
the "older" method of assemble, weld, and undercoat.  The basic
system is however cost and space intensive since the entire vehicle
is immersed.  Any repair, abnormal exposure to corrosive elements,
and post factory application af anticorrosive films would definitely
enhance the life expectancy of the metal structure(less Northern
Vehicle Cancer).

Obviously, adding a superficial film of material without proper
preparation(conversion) of the base metal for proper adherence of the
top coating would not be smart, but we would have to assume that
those interested in improving the efficiency of their operations by
using overspray, gun cleaning residue,etc would also know enough
about metal preparation to stay in business.

Vic Young
====================================

 R. Illig wrote:

    It was my impression that auto rust-proofing and undercoating was
    an outdated concept.  I seem to remember reports of several years
    ago which claimed that drilling holes and spraying
    "rust-inhibiting" materials underneath and into auto cavities
    actually caused more harm than good.  (Although I always thought
    undercoating would be very useful.)  I believe these materials
    often resulted in the attraction or build-up of moisture, a
    condition which leads to rust and corrosion.  The use of steel
    with better corrosion resistance, along with improved design, may
    have helped to minimize the need for application of inhibitors.

    The last time I asked about getting my car undercoated (which had
    to be at least 5 years ago), my Toyota dealer told me they would
    no longer perform the service and recommended I do not waste my
    time and money.

    The application of hazardous waste materials under the guise of
    "in-house recycling", outside of the waste generating process, may
    be stretching the intent of the regs a bit.

    Ric
Vic Young, Waste Reduction Resource Center
PO Box 29569, Raleiigh, NC 27626-9569
(800)476-8686 Fax (919)715-6794
vic_young@owr.ehnr.state.nc.us
http://www.owr.ehnr.state.nc.us/wrrc1.htm