Proactive Hazardous Material Management

     Does anybody know of examples of companies who have adopted proactive
     hazardous material management programs.  By proactive, I mean programs
     that place more emphasis on avoiding the use of hazardous materials,
     where appropriate, than on merely controlling the hazards associated
     with use of such materials; programs that encourage source reduction
     and product substitution during every stage of the requisitioning
     process (e.g., during product  specification, procurement,
     review/approval).  What works and what doesn't work?  I'd appreciate
     any input.

     Ron Del Mar
     Fluor Daniel Northwest
     P.O. Box 1050