RE: Proactive Hazardous Material Management

Ronald,
    This simple approach seems to work quite well for the companies that
use it.
    Before any new product is purchased (or let in the door) it must be
cleared by the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Office of the
company.  This means . . .
1.  The EHS Office looks at the MSDS sheet  BEFORE  the product is
purchased, so they can determine whether or not is toxic or hazardous.
2.  SARA 313 chemicals are screened out, they are not allowed.
3.  Other toxics or hazardous substances are screened out also.  If a
department really wants a given chemical or cleaner or product they have
to convince EHS that it is needed.  If EHS agrees, they say. "OK, but
this is how you have to handle it, and this is the extra training you
will be forced to take.  Do you still want it?" etc.   etc.
4.  This type of program usually goes along with a program to eventually
rid the company of any SARA 313 chemicals they are still using.
5.  Before any free samples are accepted the vendor must agree to take
back any unused portion of the product.
6.  I am sure there are many more companies in our state doing this than
I am aware of, but the companies I know about tend to be larger ones,
companies that have a centralized inventory/supply/storage area complete
with clerk checking things in and out of the supply room.

I am sure you can find companies nearby that use this approach, but if
you want to talk to anybody around here, then please give a call and we
will scare some up for you.

Hope this helps.
Peter T. Moulton
Division of Technical Services, Bureau of Remediation
State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection
State House Station #17
Augusta, ME  04333
tel. 207-287-8161   Fax. 207-287-7826
Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
case (upper or lower) does not matter on email address