RE: Proactive Hazardous Material Management

Ron,

My company (a not-for-profit research organization) has set up waste min
proceedures for acquisition of chemicals. Before anyone orders a
chemical, they are supposed to check the chemical inventory database and
arrange to use chemicals that are on site (often these chemicals will be
in another lab or with a different research group). If chemcals must be
ordered, we are to order in the smallest possible quantities.

Chemists are encouraged to design their experiments to minimize the
quantities of chemicals they use & substitute less toxic reagents. Our
hazardous materials handbook gives some examples of waste min. that can
be designed into experiements.

We also classify and track hazardous materials through our purchasing
office. The purchasing office crosschecks the CAS numbers on
requisitions to see if they are regulated or if the fall into one of our
internally-defined categories of chemicals (e.g., environmentally
sensitive, difficult to dispose).  As far as I know, the purchasing
office does not deny requests to purchase chemicals that are on these
lists, but the tracking proceedure allows the safety and health officer
to ensure regulatory compliance. In addition, the purchaser of the
material is considered the "custodian" of that material & is responsible
for safe handling and treatment of the material.

A caveat: no matter what kind of policies are in place, equal attention
needs to go towards creating the organizational culture that ensures
that all employees take the policies seriously & consider environmental
protection part of their jobs.

Regards,
Melissa Malkin

                                         Melissa Malkin
                              Pollution Prevention Program
                                  Research Triangle Institute
             POB 12194. Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709-2194
         (ph)   919-541-6154                        (fax)   919-541-7155
                                       http://www.rti.org