Re: Reuse of Dewatered Ink Solids

Hi, Bonnie. I have a answer to your question. It means changing treatment
system technology however. I work with a company that makes membrane filter
based treatment systems. They have experience with systems for flexographic
washwater. By separating the particles and large molecules from the small
molecules (such as water) in a membrane filter, the ink solids (pigment and
resins) and some of the co-solvents, anti-foaming agents, adhesion
enhancers and other additives are concentrated for reuse (we call it a
recycle system, not a treatment system). In the flexo newspaper industry,
this has become standard technology. The key is to reuse these ink
components in the black ink where the various colors, when mixed become
very dark and are "hidden" (they use a lot of black ink in the newspaper
industry). If your client does not use much black ink, you've still
concentrated valuable components (some ink pigments cost more than $6 per
pound). Perhaps your client's ink manufacturer would be interested in it.
Or, perhaps, there is another flexographic printer in the area that does
use a lot of black water based ink-the Louisville Courier does, the Akron
Beacon-Journal does, the Pittsburgh Post does among others.

I would be happy to talk to your client and put them in touch with the
recycle system's manufacturer. Call me or have your client call me.

wjw/

wjw5@psu.edu
Warren J. Weaver
PENNTAP