USES FOR COAL FLY ASH -Reply

At a recent EPA-sponsored conference (Environmentally Preferable
Purchasing) in Baltimore a week or so back, there was a ton of material
displayed by the American Coal Ash Association (703-317-2400).  You
could also e-mail them at ACAA@ix.netcom.com.  I'd appreciate hearing
from you if they have anything useful to offer with respect to your
question.

Ed Weiler (USEPA-Pollution Prevention Division)
Washington, D.C.
 Phone: (202) 260-2996

>>> "Richard Illig (717) 327-3568" <ILLIG.RICHARD@a1.pader.gov>
07/28/97 09:46am >>>
    One & All,

    In Pa we have developed several uses for coal fly ash...mine
    site reclamation, stabilized fill, and soil conditioning are some
    of the more common uses.  I have learned that in many cases (when
    burning soft coal) the ash is too acidic for general reuse
    scenarios...requires too much lime, for stabilization, to be cost
    effective.

    QUESTION: Has anyone developed other uses for coal fly ash which
              takes advantage of the acidic nature, or otherwise
              developed processing methods that would allow reuse?

    From perhaps more of a P2 perspective, one option under
    consideration is to burn harder (not anthracite) coal.  Does
    anyone have any experiences to relate in this area?

    Thanks for any assistance you may offer,

    Ric