USES FOR COAL FLY ASH -Reply

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency designates recycled content products that government agencies must
purchase.  In 1983, we designated cement and concrete containing coal fly ash.  To date, approximately 30 states
use coal fly ash in concrete in roadway applications.  Cement containing coal fly ash also has been used in buildings,
bridges, and even many of the Metro subway stations in Washington, DC.  The American Coal Ash Association
developed a booklet called "Fly Ash Facts for Highway Engineers," which is distributed by the Federal Highway
Administration and which provides technical information about using coal fly ash in concrete, road bases, flowable
fill, structural fills, and for grouting and paving.  It's publication FHWA-SA-94-081.  As was noted by another
respondent, ACAA also has a lot of other useful information for using coal fly ash.

For copies of EPA's Comprehensive Procurement Guideline and Recovered Materials Advisory Notice, contact the
RCRA Hotline at 800-424-9346 or visit EPA's web site at http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-hw/procure.htm.

Dana Arnold
Municipal Information & Analysis Branch
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
401 M Street, S.W. (5306W)
Washington, DC 20460
arnold.dana@epamail.epa.gov

>>> "Richard Illig (717) 327-3568" <ILLIG.RICHARD@a1.pader.gov> 07/28/97 09:46am >>>
    One & All,

    In Pa we have developed several uses for coal fly ash...mine
    site reclamation, stabilized fill, and soil conditioning are some
    of the more common uses.  I have learned that in many cases (when
    burning soft coal) the ash is too acidic for general reuse
    scenarios...requires too much lime, for stabilization, to be cost
    effective.

    QUESTION: Has anyone developed other uses for coal fly ash which
              takes advantage of the acidic nature, or otherwise
              developed processing methods that would allow reuse?

    From perhaps more of a P2 perspective, one option under
    consideration is to burn harder (not anthracite) coal.  Does
    anyone have any experiences to relate in this area?

    Thanks for any assistance you may offer,

    Ric