(Fwd) RE: (Fwd) Re: Reuse of Dewatered Ink Solids

Forwarded from Printech, administered by the Printers' National
Environmental Assistance Center (PNEAC).

From:          "Debra Kramer" <kramer@cmcusa.org>
To:            "'printech@great-lakes.net'" <printech@great-lakes.net>,
               "'Bonnie Pray'"
               <bpray@iams.org>
Subject:       RE: (Fwd) Re: Reuse of Dewatered Ink Solids
Date:          Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:23:45 -0500

Working with an ink company to reuse the solids is a good idea, but I
would caution you and the ink company about waste regulations.  The
issue may be that the ink company would be considered a Treatment,
Storage, and Disposal Facility (TSDF) if they accept a waste material.
 The regulations are different from state to state depending on their
definition of recycling and how they enforce the regulations.

Obviously, TSDF permitting is not a recommended option.  It is a very
costly and time consuming process.  An alternative is to fuel blend
the solids rather than send them to a land fill.  Although ink
pigments from w.b. ink have no BTU value they can combine them with
other materials and fuel blend them at places such as a cement kiln.

Deb

--- Debra Kramer Waste Management & Research Ctr. - IL DNR (PNEAC)
3333 W. Arthington Chicago, IL  60624 773/265-2036 773/265-8336 FAX
Kramer@cmcusa.org
--- ---------- From: 	Wayne
Pferdehirt[SMTP:pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu] Sent: 	Friday, July 25,
1997 11:40 AM To: 	printech@great-lakes.net Subject: 	(Fwd) Re: Reuse
of Dewatered Ink Solids

Do any Printech users have anything to add to this inquiry?  Post
response to Printech and I will forward.

-Wayne