Copper Pot Cleaning Alternatives

We are working with a company that makes pop corn.  They have high copper
levels in their wastewater.  The source apparently is from cleaning their
copper kettles.  They use water and a power scouring pad.  This mechanical
approach removes some of the kettle surface resulting in effluent levels of
copper that are in violation of their permit.

We are interested in suggestions for an alternative way to clean these pots
that would not remove the copper.  A large capital investment is probably
not going to be acceptible because there are some relatively low cost
treatment options.

Gary D. Miller
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820

217/333-8942 phone
217/333-8944 fax